Naankhatai(Eggless Indian cookies)
Have you ever tried baking in an oven or microwave?
No, then you are on the right page; and if yes, then way to go!!!
Naan- khatai is a traditional Indian cookie which traditionally had the following six ingredients( Flour, Ghee, Sugar, Palm toddy, Eggs, and Almonds). Some historians assert that the name Nankhatai reflects the recipe where Nan stands for bread, and Khat meaning six refers to the six ingredients.
It can be made just by using all purpose flour or a mix of semolina+ all purpose flour or a mix of chickpea+all purpose flour,but i found the best combination , which i have shared with you today.
This a simple recipe that any layman can try and come up with expected results.
Just be careful for the right measurements.
So this is how it goes:
1. 3/2 cups of all- purpose flour.
2. 1 cup of semolina.
3. 3/4 cup of chickpea flour.
4. 1 cup of clarified butter.
5. 1 cup of powdered cane sugar.
6. 2 tsp of cardamom powder. (optional)
7. 1 tsp of nutmeg powder. (optional)
8. A pinch of baking soda.
9. A pinch of baking powder.
10. Chopped almonds or pistachios or cashews.
1.Take a large bowl or a pan. Sieve all the three flours – all purpose, semolina and chickpea flour in the ratios mentioned above in the bowl and mix them.
2. Take another bowl, add clarified butter and sugar in it. Beat them together till it becomes creamy or fluffy. This will fill in some air in the mixture.
3. Next add this sugar-clarified butter mixture in the first bowl.
4. Now add a pinch of baking soda and baking powder each.
5. Next add the cardamom powder and nutmeg powder(optional).
6. After this mix all the ingredients with your hands and knead it in a soft and breakable dough.
7. Keep it aside for 5 mins.
8.In the meanwhile heat the oven to 375 degree F.Make small balls of the size of small lemons out of the dough without cracks.If required apply some oil or ghee on your palms before making these balls .You may also add 1-2 tsp of milk for binding the dough.
9.Now top each of these balls with some dry -fruits or take a knife and mark cross on the top. This helps in designing and makes them puffy after baking.
10. Take a baking tray or an aluminium foil container or a baking pan ,but should be flat and line it with non-stick cooking spray or oil.Then arrange all the balls with a gap of 1/2 -1 inch between them both horizontally and vertically because they will spread and puff double in size while baking.
11.Bake them for 15-20 min in the middle rack. In my oven it takes 17 min. So just check in after 10 mins and see if their colour has changed or not.
12. When their colour changes to wheatish brown then take them out and let them stand for 2-3 mins .Remember their top colour should not turn wholly brown, because they will get burnt.But the base will be dark brown.
13. After cooling them take them out from the tray and store in any air tight container.
Its true for them :A stitch in time saves nine.
Just be precise and you will savour them for 1 month.
Note: These are edible for 1-2 months. Adjust the temp of the oven; if you get a burnt base ,then you may decrease the temp to 350 in the last 2 mins.This quantity will make approximately 50 pieces.