When winters break in with rains and rains , the kids and family is down with Flu !! What do you do ? How do you do?? 😀 This Halwa comes to the rescue !
Halwa ( a sweet pudding) of Almonds (Badam) is not only beneficial in cold and cough, but is also good for eyes, joint and muscle pain and so on. The main thing is you can feed your family a bowl of health , without your kids noticing any difference in color . 😉
Although traditionally, this halwa is made by soaking almonds in water (overnight) , I took a short-cut and it came out as good as the traditional one. To find out what’s the trick , lets jump to the recipe now..
1. Almond Flour – 1 cup
2. Walnut flour – 1/4 cup
3. Sugar – 1/2 cup
4. Milk – 1 cup
5. Ghee – 1/2 cup
6. Silvered almonds – for garnishing
7. Cardamom powder – 1 tsp (for garnishing)
| Preparation time : 5 mins (optional)| Cooking time : 30 mins | Serves 2 to 3 persons |
1. As you know now, the main ingredient is Almond flour (Badam ka atta). You can make your own flour with almonds too. For this dry roast them till they are fragrant and change their color slightly. Then add them in a mixer/grinder and ground them into fine mixture. You may sieve it to get the finer mixture. Use the separated pieces for garnishing. (Hence preparation time is optional.)
2. Add the almond flour and walnut flour(optional) in a wok(kadhai) and add ghee in it. Turn on the heat and start stirring them together.
3. When the ghee has completely melted, lower the heat to medium and roast it for 3 to 4 mins or till they turn aromatic. Once you notice slight change in color, add milk to it. ( Please see : if you have made your own flour, roast it for 2 mins only in ghee.)
4. After about 5 mins, when the milk starts evaporating, stir the halwa and add sugar to it. Continue stirring on medium to high heat now.
5. After about 15 to 20 mins, when the mixture starts thickening, add the cardamom powder and stir it well. Turn off the heat now. Since this halwa tastes better in viscous form (My daughter likes it that way: she calls it creamy halwa .:D ) , but you may thicken it to the level you like.
6. Serve it immediately with some silvered almonds on the top and enjoy !!
This Halwa is a boon to us from our ancestors. I hope this would remind you of your grandparents too ! Wishing you their love and warmth, and the new year’s sweet beginnings , I sign off..
Till then keep cooking and sharing..