Cool Green salad
It’s always good to soak in summer spirit with kids and engage in their activities. After all “An empty mind is a Devil’s workshop.” This recipe comes straight from my heart – dedicated to my daughter, who is fond of cucumbers. I made a uinque blend of Mexican and Indian salads in this recipe.
An easy green salad which actually doesn’t involve greens (leaves) but still is green enough for our heart, eyes, bones ,water content and nutrition. It has the butter (good fat) of avocadoes, sodium from cucumbers, minerals from armenian cucumbers which together give healthy skin and cool water in summers. I have added mozzarella cheese (soft packed lump) to increase the protein content. Also armenian cucumbers are actually not a type of cucumbers but are from a squash family. They resemble a snake gourd (“tori” in hindi) but are actually called “kakdi” in hindi. Include them for higher water content and cooling effect in your diet.
Let’s check this easy recipe now..
1. Armenian cucumbers (kakdi) – 2 long, julienned
2. Persian cucumbers (or any other type of kheera) – 3 small sliced
3. Avocado (mexican fruit) – 1 whole pitted and sliced
4. Lemon juice – 3 tsp
5. Black pepper (kali mirch) – 1/2 tsp
6. Mozzarella cheese crumbled or shredded (soft lump) – 4 tbsp
7. Roma Tomatoes (grape or cherry preferred) – chopped in small pieces (for garnishing)
8. Himalayan rock salt (kala namak) – 1 tsp or to taste
| Preparation time : 20 mins | Serving size : 4 persons |
1. Wash and peel the cucumbers if desired. I have a soft peeler to peel such thin-skinned vegetables. You may slice them directly too. I sliced the cucumbers in circles and armenian (kakdi) in long slices.
2. Cut the ripe avocado(an avocado which is dark green from outside and is soft and tight like tomatoes) in half. Slice long slices from it and remove the seed. I presented the salad in two ways. So for a mix of salad , you can just mash the avocado with a fork and for a pick-type salad you can slice it as per your wish.
3. In one plate I arranged a peacock-style salad with slices. Squeeze some lemon juice, sprinkled black pepper and Himalayan salt. Grate the fresh mozzarella on it with a shredder.
4. In the bowl salad, I mixed lemon juice with the mashed avoacado. Then added the chopped cucumbers. Here you can chop them finely too. Add some fresh mozzarella . Then add the grape/cherry tomatoes (preferred) or the finely cubed roma tomatoes for garnishing. In the end add the black pepper and himalayan salt, if needed.
You can add or subtract the choice of your vegetables /fruits in this recipe except for leaves. Also using cheese is not mandatory, it can be igonored. My daughter loved the platter style of salad, where she get to choose and pick them.
This recipe too is my (1st post ) contribution in the Blogging Marathon #90 hosted by Sandhya under the Kid’s delight- event themed on summer salads. If you want to know more about it , please check : Blogging Marathon .
You may also like my other salad recipes : Raw Preps
Till then keep enjoying summer with salads ….