Koshimbir Salad (Cucumber / katchumbar raita) is a traditional Maharashtrian salad which not only tastes delectable but is also satiating like a meal. I first ate this in my friend’s home at Haldi -kumkum. I was so touched by this salad, that I recreated it again after a few days in my home with her recipe. Thanks to Aruna for sharing her secret ancestral recipe.
Since then, it became a ritual for months to make this salad for guests. I served this to people belonging to different cultures and states. Not a single person ever said that this salad isn’t delicious. One scoop has always opened the door for another. My daughter whose favorite is cucumber also devours it happily. So today I am sharing this recipe with you all.
[ P.S. : This salad contains peanuts, so don’t try it if your kid suffers from nut allergies. Also skipping peanuts would turn it into a regular one. ]
1. Cucumbers (peeled, grated and squeezed ) – 2 cups
2. Thick yogurt (dahi) – 4 tbsp
3. Himalayan rock salt (kala namak) – 1 tsp
4. Cooking oil (peanut oil/safflower/olive oil) – 1 tbsp
5. Soaked split chickpea lentils (chana dal) – 1 tbsp
6. Mustard seeds (rai) – 1 tsp
7. Asafoetida (hing) – a pinch
8. Turmeric (haldi) – 1/4 tsp
9. Chopped cilantro (hara dhaniya) – 4 tbsp
10. Black pepper (kali mirch) – 1/2 tsp
11. Peanuts (roasted , peeled and crushed coarsely) – 4 -5 tbsp
12. Dessicated coconut powder (dry khopra/nariyal) – 2 tbsp (optional)
13. Curry leaves (kadi patta ) – 5-6
14. Cumin powder (jeera powder) – 1 tsp
| Preparation time : 20 mins | Serves 2 persons |
1. Dry roast the peanuts in microwave for 1 minute in 20-20-20 secs intervals. Or you may dry roast them in a pan on the stove for 4 to 5 mins until they turn slightly brown.
2. Remove the skins of peanuts in a cloth by rubbing the cloth vigorously after tying the loose ends. If you have raw peanuts without skin, you may use them and save a step in this process.
3. Grind them in a dry jar to a coarse powder as shown.
4. Now lets prepare a seasoning which is optional, but it definitely add that uniqueness and taste to the entire salad. For this , heat a little oil in a wok(kadha).
5. Add mustard seeds,hing and chana dal(split Dalia/roasted chickpea lentil) and turn them for a minute. Next add turmeric (haldi) and curry leaves (kadi patta) to it.
6. In a bowl , grate the cucumbers (persian/english/Indian/pickled) and squeeze out the water. Save this water for either kneading the dough or to be added in the end. Also add Ground peanut powder just prepared.
7. Now in the same bowl , add yogurt , rock salt, black pepper and dessicated coconut (if required). Mix all well.
8. Finely chop the cilantro, roast the cumin powder and mix them in the mixture. Also add the seasoning just prepared and give it a stir.
This Maharashtrian salad is usually served in this dry-type thick consistency, but if you like more yogurt you may add it and make a “raita” style salad too.
Or like this
[P.S. : It has to be served fresh , since the cucumber might secrete some water in it and it will turn watery. ]
Moreover, this salad was an instant hit with guests too. So if you wish to prepare and serve a unique salad, try this one. I bet this salad is addictive, hence although I mentioned it serves 2 people, you may end up eating all by yourself. 😀 Moreover , it is healthy so we don’t think twice before taking another serving . 😉
You may also like my other Salads here : Raw Preps !!
Till then stay fit and healthy …