Beet salad with feta cheese
I never knew that I had a soft-corner for crunchy salads, until I visited Sweet tomatoes – a famous Salad buffet Restaurant in Bay area or may be until my daughter came into my life or until I explored new vegetables and fruits.
Indeed exploring some organic markets and stores is like walking through a veggie-garden sometimes. Today I am sharing one of my self-developed recipe of beets, inspired by one of my friend – Inderjeet (a salad pro). An easy handy salad, which has iron from beets, Vitamin K from Cabbage, Sodium from Lettuce and Protein from Feta Cheese. Lets check the recipe now.
- Half beetroot (chukundar) – sliced in thick juliennes or wedges
- Vinegar (chilli or white) – 2 tsp diluted in water
- Feta cheese (crumbled) – 5 tbsp
- Half Butter lettuce ( chopped ) – 1 bowl
- Daikon /Radish (Mooli) – 1 whole chopped in fine quarter slices (optional)
- Cabbage (finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Vegan mayonnaise – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Black pepper powder (freshly ground) – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp (optional)
- Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
| Preparation time : 2 hrs | Assembling time : 15 mins | Makes 3-4 bowls of servings|
1. Cut the beet in half. For this recipe half (big beet) is sufficient. If you love them you can add 2 small too. Peel and slice them in thin wedges. (You may add shredded too, but those are not soaked in vinegar.)
2. Soak them in white vinegar diluted with water and a tsp sugar for 2 hours. Dilute 2 tsp of vinegar in 1 cup of water and then soak them. This step is optional. It is for adding that tart to your salad if you desire.
3. Wash the beets in fresh water. If we are not soaking the beets, then peel the daikon /radish and slice them thinly in quarters. Adding radish is upto you , not so required in this recipe. But if you like some crunch ,then this is good.
4. Chop the cabbage and lettuce in shreds or pieces. Mix them with the radish and beets.
5. If the beets weren’t soaked , then add the sugar, lemon juice now and mix them well. Also add Balsamic vinaigrette – a tsp to enhance the flavor.
6. Sprinkle some black pepper powder and feta cheese on the top. Mix them lightly.
My daughter is fond of beets since they add color to her lips 😉 . If your kid isn’t fond of beets, you can use the shredded beets or thin juliennes in the recipe . This salad helps to replenish their lost nutrients after playing under the sun. 😀
If you are interested in participating this Blogging Marathon, check it for #BM 90 Blogging Marathon .
You may also like my other salads and appetizers here : Raw Preps
Till then enjoy the summers and continue sharing….